Wednesday, November 13, 2019

God will sustain us!


When Matthew Bensman, Holy Family’s Youth Faith Formation Minister, asked me to write about this week’s readings and to provide my own interpretation and reflection for other parishioners to read, I thought to myself, what an honor, I’d love to, I enjoy writing, this ought to be easy. Looking back at my initial thoughts, it’s not such an easy a task that I thought it would be.


That being said, I marvel at the amazing job that our parish priests and deacon provide for us each week by sharing with us their interpretations of the gospel and readings, they each make it look and sound so easy.  Their message about God’s word comes across so eloquently and they’re able to apply it to the modern times we live in.

I don’t profess to be an expert in the bible and its interpretations, so I did need some help in interpreting the Lord’s message.  Naturally we turn to the internet, and so that is just what I did.  Having done so, I stumbled across a website called workingpreacher.org.  After typing in Luke 21:5-19, I got many sites that popped up, but this one drew me in and appealed to me the most.

In the commentary regarding Luke 21 written by David Tiede an Emeritus Professor of the New Testament he sums it up in a nutshell in just one sentence, Jesus never promised it would be easy to follow him.  In the Gospel Reading it speaks of Jesus traveling to Jerusalem and on His travels He is alerting His followers to hardships ahead, beyond the time of His journey.

We all can relate to hardships in our lives, like those brought about by nature such as earthquakes, fires, hurricanes that we ourselves or family members may have suffered. Or, we might be able to relate to the hardships that may be accidental or intentional, such as the loss of a loved one, loss of a job, divorce or those having to do with medical issues.  Whatever the hardship, Jesus reassures His followers that through it all He will be with us.  Professor Tiede reminds us that even the harsh prophecies of Luke 21 are filled with the confidence of Jesus' enduring presence.



Having faith in Jesus’ enduring presence isn’t always easy.  I recall an image of a photograph taken after 9/11 that has stuck with me for years.  The image is of steel beams in the shape of the crucifix standing in the rubble left behind after this devastating disaster.  If you have ever visited the 9/11 Memorial the crucifix was retrieved, and is now a part of the display in the memorial museum. 

It struck me that people who survived or family members who lost loved ones, probably felt abandoned and wondered why God let this terrible tragedy happen. How could He have abandoned them during this desperate time of need?  But God did not and still has not abandoned them. He has sustained them all for He had sent a sign in the form of a steel crucifix that His presence was there with them, and always will be.

 You are immediately reminded of the time Jesus Himself was crucified on the cross to save sinners, and yet at His most desperate time of need, He calls out to His Father, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” Matthew 27:46. In His humanity, Jesus teaches us that God will always be with us because He loves us. God never forsake His only Son, in fact in death He called His Spirit to return to be with His Father.

 Professor Teide continues by referencing David Livingstone, the legendary missionary to Africa, who once prayed, "Lord, send me anywhere, only go with me. Lay any burden on me, only sustain me." And He testified, "What has sustained me is the promise, 'Lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the world."

Although at times it might not always be easy to follow the Lord, we must remember these powerful words during the most difficult of hardships that God loves us, He will be with us always, and He will sustain us, even to the end of the world.

 


Reflection by Maria Dyson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus' Temptation

In this week’s Gospel, we see Jesus, soon after being baptized by John the Baptist, being led into the desert by the Holy Spirit to fast, p...