Sunday, November 24, 2019

Christ the King


I’ve always loved the image of Christ as the Good Shepherd.  Perhaps that’s why I’ve never related very well to the Feast of Christ the King that we celebrate the last Sunday of Ordinary Time before we enter the season of Advent.  So as I began this reflection, I found myself thinking about what I know about kings and about what kind of king Jesus is.

Having grown up in a democracy, I soon realized I know very little about kings except for superficial stereotypes gleaned from films and books in which they wear sumptuous attire, feast on rich foods, and rule their kingdoms with an iron hand.  None of this could I relate to Jesus.

Luckily, however, recently I happened to watch the remake of the classic Disney film, The Lion King, interested in how the original animated characters would be technologically transformed into realistic looking animals.  Besides affirming “the circle of life” as Simba eventually becomes king after the death of Mufasa, the story had a great deal to say about the nature of a true king as taught to Simba by his father.  Three qualities especially struck me:  a noble king gives more than he takes, protects his subjects, and is compassionate rather than self-serving. 

In thinking about giving more than taking, Jesus’ third temptation in the desert came to mind.  The Devil attempts to seduce Jesus by taking him to a high mountain to show him “all the kingdoms of the world and the glory of them; and he said to him, ‘All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me.’”  (Mt. 4:8-9)  But Jesus cannot be tempted to take command of earthly kingdoms for as he later tells his disciples, “…what will it profit a man, if he gains the whole world and forfeits his life?” (Mt. 16:26)  Rather than grasping power, Jesus seeks to give through his ministry of teaching, “These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.” (Jn. 15:11)

Besides giving of himself to all whom Jesus encounters, he also seeks to protect them.  Nothing could be further from the actions of Simba’s treacherous uncle, Scar, who unlawfully becomes king by killing Mufasa, ravaging the Pride Lands, and dominating his subjects through fear.  Jesus, unlike the Pharisees who “…bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men’s shoulders” (Mt. 23:4), only wanted to help and protect the inhabitants of Jerusalem and Israel, “How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not!” (Mt. 23:37)

Lastly, Jesus, as a true king, is compassionate rather than self-serving.  The characters in Scripture whom Jesus treats with mercy and compassion are innumerable, but some come readily to mind:  the woman taken in adultery, the ten lepers, the woman with a hemorrhage, the centurion’s servant, Jairus’ daughter, the widow’s son, and, in the gospel on the Feast of Christ the King, the good thief who asks, “Jesus, remember me when you come in your kingly power” to which Jesus  replies, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.” (Lk. 23:42-43)

By the end of this reflection, I found I had learned more about the nature of a true and noble king.  But, more happily, I came to realize that whether as the Good Shepherd or as Christ the King, Jesus continues to draw me to him in admiration and  deeper love as the most giving, protective, and tenderly compassionate Lord of my life.  

Reflection by Evelyn Pezzulich 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus' Temptation

In this week’s Gospel, we see Jesus, soon after being baptized by John the Baptist, being led into the desert by the Holy Spirit to fast, p...