Thursday, October 10, 2019

I need more time to think.


My day is often filled with news, email, social conversation, home and office administration, etc. Our society has evolved to a point where we need to fill every waking moment. It often feels uncomfortable “not to be fully engaged – all the time.”  Now later in life, I have acquired a good bit of knowledge that often sits unused. God gave us free will and intellect. I fear I’m not using these gifts.

Recently when I observed “TV news sound bite” about the feast of St. Francis of Assisi, a parish Priest was Blessing pets which is a longstanding tradition. St. Francis is allegedly to have preached to even the birds and of course he is the patron Saint of animals. Pets often bring great comfort to people who are lonely. Pets are known to provide unconditional dedication.  But there was so much more to St. Francis. He renounced his wealth and possessions, to serve lepers and the poor.  St. Francis believed in a life of sacrifice, poverty, and humility.

As with many young people, especially those coming from a wealthy family, Francis in his youth was given to follow the vanities of life.  Tradition holds that he loved wine, food, and feasts, and lived a life of indulgence. 

After a period of self-examination, Francis began to spend long hours in intense prayer, religious exercises, and in the contemplation of God.  I’m taken with the concept of self-examination.  But unlike St. Francis, I often forget to develop a strategy to change my behavior.

In his autobiography, through self-examination, Benjamin Franklin decided that they were thirteen virtues he deemed important and developed a complex daily process to “habitualize” changes in his behavior. Franklin also found that “… the most acceptable service of God is doing good to man” I’m a simple person and I like St. Francis’ moto “Pax et bonum” Peace and Goodness be with you. Metaphorically speaking, I keep forgetting to get some “dust on my sandals.”

Walking the talk: I have witnessed two examples of “Peace and Goodness” that often comes to mind. I was walking with a Franciscan from the Arch Street Chapel in Boston to a meeting when a homeless man asked the Priest “Father can you spear a couple bucks for an old altar boy?” The Priest replied, “I will give you five bucks if you can say the Confiteor.” The homeless man replied, “how about in Latin for $10?” The Priest accepted the offer at which the homeless man recited a perfect Latin Confiteor. The Francians take a vow of poverty and he reached deep into his pocket for that $10.

In another instance: I received a promotion at work and was assigned to an upper-level manager who was known to mentor subordinates. On my first day with him, he called me and asked me to go to lunch with him. Notwithstanding my enthusiasm for some sage advice, I knew he ate lunch at the Harvard Club every day. We met in the lobby and started walking, before I knew it we ended up at the McDonald’s on Washington Street in downtown Boston. While still engaged in “business talk,” my new boss ordered two “happy meals!” Not wanting to get off on the wrong foot, I too ordered two happy meals. We continued our business discussion and walked back toward our building. My personal thoughts at the point were – this guy is a nut, I’m in trouble. During our walk back towards our building we encountered several homeless men and women. He engaged them in friendly talk and gave out the happy meals (I did as well). We did in fact eat at the Harvard Club. I came to find out, he did that most every day.

“Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:25–30

Prayer to Francis of Assis
Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace;
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master,
Grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console;
To be understood, as to understand;
To be loved, as to love;
For it is in giving that we receive,
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
And it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.

Pax et bonum,
Bob Lyons



No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus' Temptation

In this week’s Gospel, we see Jesus, soon after being baptized by John the Baptist, being led into the desert by the Holy Spirit to fast, p...