Thursday, July 25, 2019

SAVING THE CITY OF SODOM/BREAD FOR A FRIEND


SAVING THE CITY OF SODOM/BREAD FOR A FRIEND


Of course, we all know that scripture was shared, then written, thousands of years ago, reflecting on the people who lived in those times with their cultures, beliefs and traditions.  And sometimes we are left scratching our heads as to what the inspired writer’s message really means for us. 


As I read this weekend’s story from Genesis, I imagined listening in to the conversation between Abraham and the Lord, as Abraham tried to convince God not to destroy the innocent people of Sodom.  He begged the Lord’s mercy and kept at it, if there were “at least ten there”.  And God’s mercy prevailed. 


I tried to picture Abraham here today in 2019, begging the Lord to save our country and see that it was worth saving if there were only a few innocent people left.  A few hundred, a few thousand, a few million perhaps and God’s mercy would prevail. 


That is the hope of my journey – God’s mercy for all who are trying to walk in God’s way.  Some days produce a closer walk than others for me. 


After reading the Gospel of Luke, describing one who seeks out a friend to borrow some bread, I recalled an experience last Sunday. After spending several hours in our home preparing it for a neighborhood gathering today, I left projects undone because I was “undone” and needed a break for a bit.  The house was still in a state of disarray as was I.  The doorbell rang soon after I sat down to give my aching feet a rest.  L  When I opened the door, two smiling guests were there all ready to party, albeit one week early. I was mortified, they were embarrassed.  At first I wanted to send them away and keep my messy self and house from too much view.  But with their chilled bottle of wine in hand, I invited them in and we all had a great time visiting.


Jesus keeps on giving us opportunities to “open our doors”, either those of our homes or those of our hearts.  I pray for the grace to seek God’s mercy when the door of my own heart is sometimes not opened to God-visitors who are seeking the Lord’s path through me.


Reflection by Mary Keefe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus' Temptation

In this week’s Gospel, we see Jesus, soon after being baptized by John the Baptist, being led into the desert by the Holy Spirit to fast, p...