Saturday, July 6, 2019

It was then that I carried you!


Over the past few months the faith formation office has run various events that were designed for students but had a parent element as part of it.  After each one of those events we have had adults share with us that they learned so much and really enjoyed the events.  That got me thinking, why?  What do these events, that are geared towards kids and teenagers have that parents and adults find so appealing?  And I have come up with 2 answers – a simple, clear message and fun.  Our faith at its core is simple, “love the Lord your God with all your heart mind, body and soul and love one another as I have loved you” Luke 10:27.  Yes there is a lot more to our faith then that, but at its core, Jesus told us that this was the greatest commandment, and sums up everything our faith should be about.  Sometimes we get so lost in the details, we forget the core meaning.  Giving a simple, clear, concise message, keeps that from happening.

The other important aspect is fun.  Too often our faith and our church seems rigid, stuffy and boring.  That is so far from the truth.  Our faith is fun and amazing; we just have to let it.  Again we can get caught up the minor details of rituals and rubrics and forget about the meaning, or person (i.e. Jesus Christ) behind it.  Last week during #Jesus (our summer faith formation program for 7th and 8th graders) we prayed the rosary, had adoration, prayed the examen and learned about the death and resurrection of Christ, but we did so in a lively and fun way.  The students having fun while praying the rosary and acting out each joyful mystery didn’t detract from the beauty of the rosary, it added to it.  40 teenagers on their knees in front of the Blessed Sacrament during Adoration is beautiful and powerful, even if teenage laughter and giggles sometimes break out. 

This Sunday we sign during the Responsorial Psalm “Let all the earth cry out to God with joy, shout joyfully to God, all the earth, sing praise to the glory of his name.”  That doesn’t sound like a faith that should be stuffy or boring, that sounds like a faith that should be alive and shouted joyfully from the rooftops! 

As I was walking through the parish center today, looking at all the decorations Jackie Halpin Curran has set up for our Vacation Bible School (If you don’t normally walk through the parish center, you should this week, it is awesome, Jackie did an amazing job!) it struck me that the simple fun message we will be teaching our preschoolers through fourth graders, is such an important message for the parish as a whole – When Life is ____, God is Good!  You can insert anything you want into that blank – when life is scary; when life is hard; when life is difficult; when life is exciting; when life is just ok; when life is good, GOD IS GOOD!

Sometimes we find ourselves only turning to God when life has turned hard or difficult and we think we need him, but when times are going well, we tend to forget about him.  Or we think that during the difficult times, God has somehow abandoned us.  No matter our situation- whether we just lost our job; are struggling in our marriage; just suffered a miscarriage; got promoted; got accepted into our favorite college; got dumped by the boy/girl you like; had our parents go through a painful divorce; lost a loved one; met the love of your life; been diagnosed with cancer; won the lottery – GOD IS GOOD. 

God loves you no matter what and is with you through the good times and the bad times.  Sometimes it is hard to see how He is working in your life but He is always there.  He loves you like His son or daughter and would do anything for you.  Sometimes it is just hard to see His plan, but know He is always there. 

This poem, “Footprints in the Sand” helped me through a lot of hard times in my life, someone gave me a cross with it written across it after my dad died when I was 18.  I have since passed that cross on to someone else who needed it and I hope it has been passed on again and again after that.  My prayer for you is that you always remember, that no matter what, GOD IS GOOD, and He is always with you.

Footprints in the Sand

“Last night I had a dream.  I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.  Across the sky flashed scenes from my life.  For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand: one belonged to me, the other to the Lord.

After the last scene of my life flashed before me, I looked back at the footprints in the sand.  I noticed that at many times along the path of my life, especially at the very lowest and saddest times, there was only one set of footprints.

This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it.  "Lord, you said  once I decided to follow you, You'd walk with me all the way.  But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life, there was only one set of footprints.  I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."

The Lord replied, "My son, my precious child, I love you and I would never leave you.  During your times of suffering, when you could see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."



Reflection by Matthew Bensman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus' Temptation

In this week’s Gospel, we see Jesus, soon after being baptized by John the Baptist, being led into the desert by the Holy Spirit to fast, p...