Thursday, June 20, 2019

The Feast of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ


As a young altar boy I used to place a large red cloth on the altar when Mass was over that had written on it in large gold letters for all to see, “Without Me You Can Do Nothing”. Today, we might say instead, “With God All Things Are Possible” (MT:19:26). I never really thought much about the meaning of this phrase when I was a kid, but it has always stayed with me. Of course, I now realize that it explains how Jesus could multiply five loaves and two fish and feed 5,000 of his disciples.


All miracles are significant but I learned recently that, other than the Resurrection, the multiplication of the loaves and fish is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels. Had Jesus not performed this miracle the people would have had to look for food, some may have gone hungry, perhaps some may have become agitated, and the sense of community among them may have become disrupted. Instead, Jesus fed them and “all ate and were satisfied”.

Today, on the Feast of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ (what used to be called the Feast of Corpus Christi) we emphasize that Jesus continues to “satisfy” us with His Body and Blood in the Eucharist. By receiving the Eucharist (which means thanksgiving) we are nourished spiritually, brought into communion with Christ and one another, recall His sacrifice on the cross, and are called to evangelize. Just as I wondered what may have happened had Jesus not fed the 5,000, I wonder what could happen to me if I were not able to receive the Body and Blood of Christ. One could imagine that my relationship with Jesus would be affected (for I definitely feel closer to Christ when I receive the Eucharist). My commitment to the Church, the Body of Christ, could weaken.  And, my struggle to avoid sin would be even more challenging. Think about times that, for whatever reason, you have not been able to receive the Eucharist. Think about how that may have affected you and your participation in your faith community. Talk to someone who does not have access to the Eucharist and explore what impact it has on them. I am fortunate to bring the Eucharist to a 92 year old man in the parish who is no longer able to attend Mass. His reception of the Eucharist in his home is so important to him.


On this Feast day I think how fortunate we are to have priests who, through the sacrament of Holy Orders, are able to provide us with the Body and Blood of Christ. We forget that there are people in this country and in the world who do not have a priest to serve them and who do not have regular access to the Eucharist. Let us thank God for all He has given us, especially the gift of Himself. Let us also continue to pray for an increase in vocations.

Reflection by Bob Fanning


1 comment:

  1. Very true, Bob. Sometimes we may take for granted that we go from a comfortable home in a comfortable car to a comfortable church where there is always a priest present to consecrate the host and wine. We are able to do this without fear of retribution. This is not the case in many parts of the world. Let's pray that we never lose sight of how wonderful this opportunity is.

    ReplyDelete

Jesus' Temptation

In this week’s Gospel, we see Jesus, soon after being baptized by John the Baptist, being led into the desert by the Holy Spirit to fast, p...